Dedication to making the best expedition food
When we started TentMeals, we had one goal in mind: making the best expedition food possible.
Over the last few years we've been obsessive in this mission, and have found that to us, the 'best' means the following:
- Healthy and delicious food: Made entirely with wholesome healthy ingredients, and delicious blends of natural herbs and spices. No preservatives, no colourants, no nasty additives. We already use a number of organic ingredients, and are making efforts to use more in the future.
- High energy: 800 kcal is our standard serving size, meaning even the hungriest mouths get well fed. We also have a 500 kcal option for smaller appetites.
- Tiny and lightweight: Before sealing the bags we compress down the ingredients so that they take up as little space as possible. They also only weigh between 111g and 204g per meal.
- Minimal packaging, but tough: Just 3 to 4g of recyclable plastic per meal, but tough enough you don’t have to worry about food explosions in your backpack. Right now, we're working on making our packaging even more environmentally friendly.
- Quick and easy: Just add hot water and leave for 5-10 minutes. No cooking required, so you can save on gas and avoid burning food to your pot. Most meals can also be made with cold water.
Photo courtesy of Will Copestake, British Adventurer of the Year 2015
Think we've missed something? Let us know!